Tuesday 1 May 2012

Some Awards, Random Facts and Plenty of Procrastination!



Caroline Makes, one of the hosts of the fabulous Alphabakes Challenge has very kindly gifted me with these two awards.  I very much enjoyed reading her random facts.  My favourite was when she revealed that one day when she used to be a journalist and was about to meet the CEO of Burberry, she realised she was wearing a fake Burberry scarf and so had to quickly hide it in her bag just before she met him!

Rules for both the awards are :
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this Award and link them back.
2. Say some 5 random facts about you.
3. Spread the  joy by nominating other bloggers.

4. Convey the blogger about the nomination. 

1. This week I am writing the last ever essay I hope I have to write in my entire life! (aside from a monstrous essay I will still have to write called a dissertation, but we're forgetting about that for a little while thanks!)

2. The other day when I was bored in my lecture I decided to test myself on making a list of all 50 U.S states (because I'm America obsessed...but you know that fact about me already!) I speedily got to 49 and then for the next 20 minutes I scrolled through every state related song I could think of (there's alot you know aside from the obvious ones like Sweet Home Alabama and California by Phantom Planet.  One of my favourites is Kings of Leon - The Runner 'She's got a birthmark the shape of Maine' and I also love Why Georgia by John Mayer and an old teen favourite of Ohio Is For Lovers by Hawthorne Heights) eventually I remembered this song and Indiana took my list up to 50! Boom! I was super happy, I certainly can't tell you what I learnt from that lecture on precision teaching but I can tell you all 50 states and I can even map them geographically in their correct places too! so I considered that quite an achievement! 

3. Whilst we're on the subject of geography and travel, I've been meaning to write a big long post for months about our super exciting news but thanks to all the essays and work from random point no.1 I just haven't gotten around to it sooooo....WE'RE MOVING TO VANCOUVER in September for a year! Oh yes, I already know where my local Wal Mart will be and my local Taco Bell - it is beyond exciting, you can read more about that and my love of google street view here.

4. My husband told me we need to get fit and so he's going to close my blog down...no jokes! I reminded him that he's the one most evenings who says 'what treats have we got' and prompts me to whip up something calorific - he could say no if he wanted to! but he doesn't.  So we're just going to continue eating like fatty's...and come September we'll snowboard all our calories away....wahoooooo.

5. My essay writing currently looks something like this:

5 minutes - work on essay
5 minutes - facebook check
15 minutes - google reader check
20 minutes - stumble upon some new found blogs through links of links
5 minutes - twitter check
5 minutes - pinterest check
5 minutes - work on essay

and then the cycle continues...does anyone else see a problem in this schedule?
I would be seriously interested in conducting a study to see how productive and studious university students were 25 years ago (pre the invention of the internet) compared to now.
I think it would make for some pretty fascinating results! but probably results that would have me looking the other way too! Did you know the only time I have been in the University library this whole year I have been doing my masters was not to study but was in fact due to not being able to make it through a whole long day of lectures without checking up on my google reader!

So there you have it...5 random facts!

I am tagging 5 more of my favourite bloggers to pass on the randomness...and hopefully fill my google reader with a few more distractions ;)

Daisy from Nevertoosweet
Mel from Let's Get Scrappy
Susie from Fold in the Flour
Sarah from The Salad Days
Jo from What do you make of my cake?

11 comments:

  1. Wow how exciting to be moving to vancouver! You'll have to hunt out all the local food places there too!

    I'm just the same with drifting from blog to blog, you click on one and that leads to another and another... Just don't shut yours down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha don't worry Katie I definitely intend to hunt down all the local food places, and even my husband won't be able to make me shut my blog down! It's here to stay! I would really love to enter your gluten free challenge...but I have exams coming up this week and it's all a bit busy, but actually I've just remembered about a gluten free bake I made over Christmas with a little girl who can't have gluten and I never blogged about it so maybe I can use that!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, thanks Gem! I'm amazed and honoured. Yours was one of the first blogs I discovered and started reading, and I guess inspired me to start blogging. So it's great to hear that you like my humble little blog!

    Wow, too, that you're headed to Vancouver! I know it's not the States but it is a lot closer. Hope you have a great time, and please, don't close the blog down. It'd be fantastic to hear how you're getting on over there, and what you're creating in the kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG OMG OMG :) That came as such a surprise! You're moving to Vancouver OMG!!! I'd love to visit Canada one day! That's sooooo great! Are you moving because of Hubby's work? I'm so so so excited for you and hahahaa I love Google maps :D it's like the best 'stalking' tool hahhaa :) Can't wait for the Canadian recipes and reviews you're going to share with us on your blog :D

    Thank you Gem for giving me these awards, I'm DEFINITELY going to pass them on and already have a few people in mind hehe YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Lucky you! Congratulations. I went on holiday to Vancouver in 2005 and stayed right next to Stanley Park on Gilford Street and Beach Avenue. There was a cupcake shop nearby too :-) it was a fantastic holiday - loved cycling round Stanley Park and Whistler was beyond amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that makes me even more excited to hear that! yes cycling around Stanley Park is one of the things I'm most looking forward too! and of course checking out all the cupcake shops and we're hoping to buy a season pass to Whistler to make the most of it!

      Delete
  5. Congratulation dear on these awards! Oh Wow! You're moving to Vancouver! I love Vancouver, been there many years ago! Awesome & so happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey gem, finally found your blog :). Love the look of it, you'll have to show me how you got the funky font in the sidebar. You should move it to a self hosted blog rather than on blogspot i reckon, you'd get more control over it. You can't stop now! the great thing about blogging is you can take it to vancoover with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Gem! Sorry I've taken a few days to reply.

    Congrats about the big move! I have a friend living in Vancouver at the moment and she absolutely LOVES it. Can't wait to see how it affects the baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy blogging; I certainly have some catching up to do! But first things first: Vancouver! Wow, how exciting! I guess you must be looking forward to that! My boyfriend just got back from Vancouver where he had a conference. He told me it's an amazing city with a very relaxed atmosphere! He also went cycling in Stanley Park and near Capilano Suspension Bridge. And I bet Vancouver has a lot more exciting baking goodies to offer than Bangor: yay!! Way to go Byron!

    Have a nice weekend!

    X Kelly

    PS: Lake Louise looks amazing!
    PPS: please send me some Mint Oreos? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I certainly have, it's amazing how much baking and how many blog posts you can write when you're trying to avoid revision! That's so exciting your boyfriend just got back from Vancouver...all the things he did are on my to do list too! I am really excited for the Capilano Suspension Bridge. In fact just tonight we were house hunting online for apartments to rent over there and we found some amazing places! and yes Vancouver is definitely going to have better baked goodies than bangor x 1000!!! It's clear you read my blog very carefully haha I love it, and for being such a loyal follower of course I can sort you out a Mint Oreo fix when I'm over there - consider it done!! Hope you have a great weekend too x

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails