Wednesday 20 February 2013

Individual Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tarts


Happy National Chocolate Mint Day!

I felt this was a day that had to be celebrated since I'm pretty sure chocolate and mint is my all time favourite flavour pairing!  I went through a stage where every dessert I made had to be made better by adding a little mint to it! However, we've found out recently that my husband gets crazy bad heartburn if he has too much mint (randomly) so I try and sneak it in here and there when I can in small doses to still get my fix! 

Fortunately, my husband is South African and so he's always willing to get heartburn for something as tasty as peppermint crisp fridge tart! For those who haven't been following the blog for long, peppermint crisp fridge tart is a very South African dessert - I have yet to meet a South African who didn't feast on this growing up! 

This continues to be one of my most visited recipes on the blog! and it's just not a very photogenic dessert so I'm always trying to think of ways to make it look prettier.


I thought it would be cute to make individual portions in these glasses and layer it up. If you want to make it the standard way then follow this recipe, or jazz it up with a crust around the edge then follow this recipe. I blitzed up the tennis biscuits to crumbs in order to make the layering smoother...but they were a bit sandy in texture so if I was to make it again I think I'd just crush up the biscuits into smaller chunks as opposed to crumbs.

I also had more problems with Canadian whipping cream not whipping up as thick as it should for this dessert, and don't even get me started on the dulche de leche in this country - it tastes like mocha! 

All in all, I won't be recreating this dessert in a hurry (on this side of the pond) but if you live in a country where whipping cream actually does it's job and dulche de leche tastes like caramel then you need to make this dessert! It's one of my all time faves! 


Individual Peppermint Crisp Fridge Tarts:
Makes 4
From Cupcake Crazy Gem

2 packets of tennis biscuits (or other coconut flavoured biscuits), blended into crumbs
375g caramelised condensed milk/tinned dulche de leche
250ml whipping cream
20ml caster sugar
3 peppermint crisp bars, crushed
3 drops of peppermint extract

Blitz the tennis biscuits in a blender.

Whip the cream and stir in the caramel.  If you are using regular condensed milk, then boil the tin until it turns into caramel.  Stir in the caster sugar and peppermint extract to the caramel cream mixture.
Using a sharp knife, cut up the peppermint crisp bars into small pieces.  Stir 2/3 of the peppermint crisps into the cream mixture.  

Spoon some of the tennis biscuit crumbs into the bottom of your glasses.  Smooth out the surface.  Sprinkle some of the leftover peppermint crisp chunks on top of the biscuit base and layer some of the caramel cream mixture on top.  Smooth it out, and repeat with another biscuit layer and a final caramel cream layer.  

Finish off with a sprinkling of tennis biscuit crumbs and a sprinkling of peppermint crisp pieces.

Refrigerate for 3 hours until the cream is firm.

Eat and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. National chocolate mint day? Sounds like a day made for you - surely you had too many choices what to blog about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG national mint chocolate day! Wish I'd known about that! These look fab, I love the layering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your serving - it manages to be a large portion yet still looks elegant i.e. the best of both worlds!
    I wonder why the dulce de leche tastes funny like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could dive right into one of those Gem! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails