Sunday 20 October 2013

Peanut Butter, Oreo, Nutella & Banana Cream Pie!


 A few weeks ago we had the American missionaries from our church over for dinner.  As well as cooking them up some Enchiladas (since Americans always complain about the lack of Mexican in this country) I also wanted to bake them something to remind them of home. 

I knew it had to involve peanut butter, and cream pies always scream America to me so I remembered a peanut butter pie recipe I had come across ages ago.  When trying to find it again, I came across this version which seemed even better to me because it involved an Oreo crust AND Nutella!! 

So it's pretty much all my favourite ingredients in a pie!


 Everything tastes better with an Oreo crust...it's a fact! Recently, I've even been baking up magic bars using Oreo crusts since sadly I no longer have easy access to graham crackers now we're back on this side of the pond!


 Next time I would probably even spread a more generous amount of Nutella on the bottom of the pie because I'm so obsessed with the stuff! The filling is the creamiest dreamiest stuff you can imagine, due to the cream cheese and the condensed milk inside it, and I like to top mine off with some straight up cream as well just to balance out all the sweetness.

It is the pie that dreams are made of! Bake one up today, you and your dinner guests will not be disappointed!


Peanut Butter, Oreo, Nutella & Banana Cream Pie:
Makes 1 (9 inch) pie

225g (8 ozs) Oreo cookies 
57g (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
113g (4 ozs) Nutella spread
240ml (1 cup) double cream
225g (8 ozs) cream cheese
256g (1 cup) creamy peanut butter
130g (1 cup) icing sugar
1 (397g/14 ozs) can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large banana
1/4 cup melted Nutella
Sprinkling of chocolate Flake

Crush the Oreos in a food processor until you have fine crumbs.  Stir in the melted butter until combined and press the mixture in the bottom of your tart tin and up the sides if desired.

In a heatproof bowl, warm the Nutella in the microwave in 30 second intervals until runny.  Pour it over the bottom of the cookie crust and spread it out to the edges using the back of a spoon.  Place the crust in the fridge to chill.

Pour the double cream into the stand mixer bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.  Store in the fridge until ready to use.  Place the cream cheese and peanut butter in the mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the icing sugar.  Add the condensed milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice.  Increase speed to medium and beat until everything is combined and the filling is smooth.  Using a large spatula, stir 1/3 of the whipped cream from the fridge into the filling mixture.  

Slice the banana thinly and arrange the slices on top of the Nutella crust.  Pour the peanut butter filling over the banana slices.  Smooth out with a spatula.  Spoon the remaining cream on top of the filling.  Warm the Nutella 'til it melts in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the pie.  If you want to be super neat use a piping bag, if your piping bag supply has run out like mine had just flick it using a knife (I sort of liked the rustic look of this way!) Crumble up Flake and sprinkle it over the top.

Place in the freezer for 3 hours or overnight before serving.

Eat and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds ridiculously good! Did u just use a 9inch pie dish?x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear you aren't British! You totally "get" the American/Canadian lifestyle!!

    This looks amazing. I'm so making it this week. I need a desert from home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gem I thought you made this for me ;-) It's all my favourite ingredients too and not a hint of coconut in sight! I can't wait to make this and eat it myself as I'm already drooling looking at my screen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - I mean - oh!! this looks too incredibly delicious- I bet they were happy campers!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzers - that's a lot of bad stuff all in one pie. I bet it was amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are right - there IS a distinct lack of Mexican in this country! I think it's getting better, a few more restaurants have sprung up near to but not nearly enough. This looks amazing and I entirely agree that everything is better with an Oreo crust!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails